We understandably fear getting the flu, especially this year when mortality is high. Avoiding exposure to the virus, and getting vaccinated are recommended. Both yield mixed results.
Here are a few points unfortunately left out of the discussion:
- “It is not the bug, it’s the terrain.” Pasteur
- Fear is a powerful motivator, but, striving to be healthy overall is the best.
- Fear itself (stress) depresses the immune system.
- A plant-based diet improves the immune system, two thirds of which is your gut bacteria.
- Processed foods, particularly refined sugars, depress the immune system.
- Each year over thirty thousand people die from the flu, but, we are regularly scared by potential calamities that are far less serious, like the Zika virus.
Practical Rx Points
- Get adequate sleep. Losing one hour of sleep per night depresses immune function.
- Wash your hands often. Try not to touch your eyes, mouth. Sneeze into sleeve
- Take 5-10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 each day. Increase to 50,000 IU while sick. Children: 1,000 IU daily, 5,000 IU when sick.
- Take probiotics 5-10 caps a day; feed them with Slippery elm or Constant Health fiber
- Take Vitamin C: 1,000 mg. Increase to 5,000 mg 3 times a day while sick; add IGG 2000 (immunoglobulin) 2 caps 2 times a day.
- Zinc tablets per bottle
- Avoid processed sugar: one can of coke depresses white cell function by 90% for 5 hours.
- Take Echinacea, Mushrooms, Elderberry, Oregano and/or Silver only while ill. They are not indicated for maintenance.
- LOTS OF WATER. Also Pomegranate juice, green tea.
- Consider wearing surgical mask if risk of exposure is high.
- Daily sinus rinse with saline (salt) solution or xclear (Xylitol).
- Daily gargle with saline solution.
If you believe you have the Flu:
The CDC advises patients to stay home and rest; avoid the ER and clinic, unless you are extremely ill. In that case, come in wearing a surgical mask.